Attention: This is a fairly basic post about SEO
When trying to find the number of backlinks that are pointing to your site, it is important note that search engines don’t tell you exactly which links are pointing to your site. This means, that many search engines won’t tell you every link that points to your site — even though these unknown links hold value.
Below, is a summary of the top three search engines (Clicking “Query” will automatically check for incoming links):
- Google: Excludes many links.
Query: link:http://example.com -site:example.com
- Yahoo: Shows all links and nofollow links.
Query: http://example.com (in Yahoo! Site Explorer)
- MSN: Excludes many links.
Query: +link:http://example.com -site:example.com
There are also many tools that check all of the above at once:
- Link Diagnosis – Useful for looking up anchor text.
- Mikes-Marketing-Tools – Checks Google, Yahoo & MSN.
- SEO Chat – Checks Google, Yahoo, MSN, Teoma/Ask.
A lot of these tools tend to not be very reliable.
Hopefully, I’ll write on more advanced techniques at a later date. I’m planning on writing a post about measuring and decreasing bounce rate, eventually 😉 .